New Words, All The Time.... New Words!

I bloody love words. I really do. It's amazing to think that I'm 35 and I still hear and experience new words all the time. I think if I could have a super power I would go with complete knowledge of all the words in the English Language. In fact, if I'm playing that game. I'd probably go with knowledge of all the words in all languages. Plus maybe the power of flight for fun. That's not that greedy!

Imagine it though, the endless possibilities of discovery. No joke. I heard the word 'Simpatico' used for the first time. I had no idea what that meant. I'm not one of those people who are far too proud to query what a word means. Moreover, I am the type of person to look a word up. If you already know the word, cool but I didn't. It's like with anything you had to have learnt it at some point too. A new word for me is almost like watching 'The Sixth Sense' for the first time. It's that excitement, the sinking feeling and the elation. Love it! Simpatico is a nice word to say too. I also really like saying 'Vociferous'.

Any way, with that in mind. I'm not deliberately using convoluted language or esoteric terminology. I don't want this book to have to be read with one hand folding a page back and the other on the Oxford English Dictionary. I don't mind doing that from time to time but it does detract from the story or it consciously pulls me out of the world I'm picturing. So, it works better for me personally if I don't have to make a mental note of certain words and then come back to them. Not in fiction anyway.

The more and more I write, and the more words that fall before me on the page with this novel. I remain or continue to go back and forth with whether I continue to write in the 1st person or third. I'm happier with the 1st at the moment. Two minds though.

I can see the pitfalls of both but also the more detail that one can certainly provide the central character or the voice of the piece, namely Dylan.

I'm not convinced though if it's too restrictive. I have him making assumptions of others, what they're thinking but I also like the poetry of being told or telling what other characters are thinking from a third person stance.

I guess though it shapes Dylan more as a character. As it is solely his perspective. For whatever reason and this is not at all related to this story but my mind continues to go back to a record fair I attended in Bristol. No idea where that thought is coming from and why I even felt the need to include or keep it in this. I'm not second guessing myself so I'm leaving it in. As I was saying. I think if it was written any other way it would become a prisoner of it's own setting or the environment.

Dylan isn't a prisoner but I want his mind to become that he has no logical escape.

See, all these questions are all the ones that I'm having to run over within my own mind. They're not massive concerns. It's more how far I can take other people and where they should be going. I mean in terms of the other characters. I think the story should though remain focused on Dylan and the impact the characters are having on him and not necessarily how they are being affected.
 
Since I'm living this life of voracious writing. I'm off for my second course.

Until Next Time....

Do Good Things




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am A Writer!

I'm starting to build it.....The third in the series.I won't call it a series. ' Shattered Vanilla'

Why Do I Clench My Left Fist When I Eat Chicken?