Deface The Front Cover To Protect A New Lover


Apologies, not entirely sure why that last one was published without the words written to support the picture.

So, through no surprise to all and any. The Catcher In The Rye is; and still remains my favourite book. It's inspired me to write a song about it. I was more so inspired by the gift. I've had many copies of it. The one pictured. I purchased a number in the states. I still have most of them. I no longer own the simple white coloured copy of it. I lent that to a girl at Uni by the name of Moira. Along too with a couple of CDs. I think they might have included the Blue Gravy Phase 9 Snuff album. It was pure dub, really great album. I only know that detail because I had to go out and buy it again. I've never seen or heard from Moira since the last time I saw her in The Falcon in High Wycombe town centre. I randomly did see her at Thekla in Bristol at a Knifehandchop live show. That was pretty surreal.

I think the copy of the 'Catcher' was gifted to me by one of two ex-girlfriends. I don't know what the message now said. That disappoints me. Even worse is lacking the vivid memory as to which girlfriend it was that gave me it. Many were capable. I think it was one of two. I can't remember what words were contained but I know they were words of encouragement, love and sentiment.

I think I destroyed or edited the front cover more so to protect future or subsequent girlfriends. Not necessarily because it was so painful to read and remember. Seems like a pretty immature reason to get rid of the message. Perhaps though even harder to explain out of context to a new girl on the scene.

I think the first time I read The Catcher In The Rye was when I was 11. I wasn't encouraged to or I certainly wasn't made to by my school. It wasn't on the curriculum. We were being bored with 'An Inspector Calls' It has merit but it's no catcher. I remember buying the book from a mall in Florida. My family and I were on a fly drive. I do recall starting the book whilst sat in the back of the car. We eventually arrived at our hotel for the night. I remember it being a large golf resort. ( We weren't golf fans. It was a nice hotel, I recall that much. Anyway, we arrived and I was head and mind in this book. It was life changing for me. That was my first copy, the white simple cover. I think Jerry Maguire references the simplicity of the the cover in the film of the same name. I'm not Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory. The book isn't a trigger. It's just an amazing book. I love it and still revisit it.

It holds another sentimental place in my heart too for another reason. I won't go into detail as to that reason because I've got another story in my head for it's use. That story centres around a particular female character. A whole other story. When I finish this novel. I think that's the story that I'll move on to next. It might not be, but I'll begin to create or build upon these stories that I can't shake from my head. They just or I hope they will write themselves. It should be easy and fun.

I love books with personal messages. I have a copy of Dr. Seuss' The Sneetches. The Story is great but the personal touch of this message is what made me purchase it. That's why I'm annoyed that I cut the one message directed to me that contained nothing but love. Perhaps in 40 years time, someone would have picked up the copy of the book and realised they had no choice but to buy it because of the snippet of sweetness contained within. As I said, I can't remember the words but it was powerful enough to make me remove it.




I want to go back to hand writing letters. It's like I need a writing desk. I want to put a stamp on an envelope and send it to nowhere. I like the mystery and romance of a message in a bottle. Pen friend maybe.

I need to concentrate on this novel. I'm at a place where I'm not sure if I should edit this scene out of it as it's slowed the pace. Maybe it seems repetitive to me. I might leave if for now until I go back over it. See the pace.

Until Next Time...


 Do Good Thing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am A Writer!

I'm starting to build it.....The third in the series.I won't call it a series. ' Shattered Vanilla'

Why Do I Clench My Left Fist When I Eat Chicken?