Stand Your Ground, Live By Convictions - Words Will Win


Having this notebook with me is - I think, really helping. I know I’ve often got my phone with me but I must admit I am relatively analogue. As you might have guessed from the vinyl, 8 tracks and utterances of VHS. In fact, I'm looking at a 8mm Cine projector. I want movie screenings to be more of an event. Requiring more effort than streaming via Netflix. I still love a bit of Netflix too so don't get me wrong. I'm not a hermit, reading books from charity shops. Although that's cool and I have nothing against that. Only the other day I found a copy of 'Into The Wild.' Good times!

Yeah so with my phone, I like a few apps and make use of them on my in terms of notes but by the time I’ve unlocked it, even with my finger print and then found the folder with the app in. I’m thinking too much about where the app is and completely forget the idea, thought, line of dialogue or whatever it is that I was thinking about which is no good for anyone. At least having this small notebook and pen in my pocket, I can scribble down whatever it is. I’ve made use of a couple of notes I’ve made already so it certainly is working for me.

When it comes to the dialogue I’m not worrying all too much about any form of dialogue tags or concerning myself with using ‘said’. I think in the first draft it’s a mere case of getting it down on the page and then I will go back over everything and amend or make use of more colourful words to describe how a line is delivered or what emotion is in use by the character. My biggest goal is to have the characters speech flow and I don’t want to draw too much attention away from the scene or the dialogue. I often find myself too aware that the speech is written if you understand what I mean. I imagine the writer. I’m trying though to incorporate more action within the dialogue. Include those small little nuances and really build on these characters. It seems because the meetings of characters are relatively fleeting there is limited time to really develop them. I am though aware. So, I hope I can certainly build upon everything. That’s a massive fear, these characters. I want them to be accessible and interesting. Failing to do that I think is failing the story. It all takes time.
I have a number of characters that are not all that nice. They’re fun to write. I’m almost basing them on people I’ve met throughout my life. Just with the obnoxious and rude persona dialed up to 100! Not in an unrealistic way but a more dramatic approach.

There’s been a lot of stress at the moment in my day to day job. Life is great etc. Work wise a bit poop but things are on the mend so at least I can make use of the emotions and build on the feelings. Perhaps even include it along the way somewhere. It is helping my creativity as when you have to do something you know is right and it may well affect others albeit by their own making…it has to be done. There can’t be any real guilt involved. Like I said, the inaction of others or negligence can’t be blamed upon spectators. You make your bed.Time to stand by your convictions.

So, yeah making use of all the feelings, all the emotions and still loving writing this one. I’ve stopped looking at Wattpad for the time being because as much as I was enjoying other peoples work. It acts as an unnecessary distraction. I revel in the attention and successes of others. However,  I’ll be honest some people receive comments etc that I feel may well be a little ‘too nice’ based on their work which isn’t all that great. That isn’t a judgement and perhaps it’s the stories I’m reading. I’m not entirely convinced by the demographic but a lot of it appears to be written by teenagers who I imagine are still listening to 'My Chemical Romance'. That isn’t to say that’s a bad thing. I like the band. But it’s got that self destructive edge to it, almost depressive for the sake it. I remember studying  A Level English Language at college. Our tutor set us the task of writing a story about anything we wanted. He commented when it was completed that all of the stories ended with the central character killing themselves. It’s that vibe. A little too easy.

Again, I haven’t read half of what the contributing writers have to offer, so that may be a sweeping comment but it is and it remains my observation. I still believe it to be an invaluable platform and resource. I, though have decided not to get all that involved. Maybe I need a PC that isn’t connected to the internet. I still enjoy using my typewriter. The only thing that becomes troublesome is correcting stuff and I know full well that using the likes of MS word or the equivalent ( well in my case I only use 'Word' ) allow for speedy revision and correction. Still closing browsers, switching off Youtube or just relying on the soundtrack that I’m including in to the story really helps. Silence is golden too though. 

I’m not sure I’m even actively pushing this blog now either. I was occasionally putting the link up on twitter but I think I enjoy writing it to document everything and like I’ve mentioned before it provides me a subtle break to reflect on everything. So it helps me. One day, it may be useful.

I’m aware that I tend to repeat myself a bit too. I’m going to have to make sure I avoid that in the novel. I think I have thus far. Only time will tell. All in all it’s feeling good and it’s far from a chore.

Until Next Time….


Do Good Things

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am A Writer!

I'm starting to build it.....The third in the series.I won't call it a series. ' Shattered Vanilla'

Why Do I Clench My Left Fist When I Eat Chicken?