Predictable Description

I'm reading so many short stories at the moment and I understand that potentially they're condensed, so require that stark, drastic editing but the descriptions being made use of are so banal and predictable. Even the emotions that people express are so obvious. I hope I can live up to my own expectations of a good story.

Some days you get that feeling of complete creativity and everything flows and then the next you get that self doubt. I start thinking too much and worrying about opinion. Should I include that? Can't mention that and so on and so on. As much as I try to write exactly how I want or how I want a novel to read. BAM! I'm smacked in the face with insecurity. Through comparison with others....you just can't do it. I don't think you should. The minute I or you start to compare yourself to literary genius you may as well give up. All you can do or at least all I can do is continue to write. I'm like an infinite chimp, the more and longer I write, I'll eventually write some Shakespeare.

I've discovered that I can almost write anywhere. I can write at any time but I have found that it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour of continual writing to get into a flow that means I don't want or can't stop.
Sure, I can write a good line or a piece of dialogue and then contemplate it for ten minutes at the start of a writing 'session' if you will. But, as soon as about 1 hour kicks in I'm not thinking. I'm just writing. The characters are leading it. That's the best way of putting it. I become or get into this zen state. That may sound exaggerated or overly self absorbed. That probably is the best way I can describe the feeling. If I'm distracted at any point, say the front door goes because Amazon are delivering something oh so very exciting. I then return to this desk and my fingers hit the keys again but it takes me another hour to get back into the flow. Slightly frustrating but then maybe that's what needs to happen. Often then I will read back over what I have been writing and then realise that the writing in that 'zen' like state was utter crap. That doesn't happen often but there are elements that can certainly be built upon.

I'm hitting on a lot of dialogue at the moment within the novel. I'm trying to limit it in a way because although I feel it leads the story or it certainly is moving the story on I think Dylan is doing that more by his description and his mental state. The dialogue breaks it but I'm trying to interject the dialogue with then an inner dialogue. It's a little difficult to flip like that. Hopefully it isn't confusing. If it is on the 2nd draft then I'll edit it.

Overall, things are going pretty well at the moment. Staying positive. Staying creative and being consistent. I think that's some of the most important elements of this process.

Until Next Time...

Do Good Things

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am A Writer!

I'm starting to build it.....The third in the series.I won't call it a series. ' Shattered Vanilla'

Why Do I Clench My Left Fist When I Eat Chicken?